If there is water damage under the sink, you must clean it right away. Sinks are prone to leakage because of the high humidity and plumbing leaks. The damage must be cleaned quickly to avoid further damage. Wet cabinets are also prone to forming mold.
You don't need to be a professional to fix this. Here are tips to clean water damage under the sink yourself.
Prepare to Work
For this project, you need:
- work gloves
- dry cloths or old towels
- adjustable pliers
- hair dryer
- mayonnaise (optional)
- cigarette ashes (optional)
- toothpaste (optional)
- baking soda (optional)
- mineral oil and steel-wool pad (optional)
- newspapers or paper towels
Find the source of the leak by setting down newspapers or a paper towel. If the paper towel or newspapers get wet, this is a sign of a leak. Repeat the leak test with the garbage disposal and filters. Inspect the cabinet supports for damage.
Open the window to ventilate. Shut off the water supply to the sink.
Remove everything from under the sink. Set buckets under the P-trap to catch leaks, and disconnect the coupling nuts on the P-trap with the wrench.
Dry the Floor
Remove the cabinet doors to speed up drying. Soak up as much water as possible with the cloths or old towels. Dry up moisture from the pipes, water, filter, and garbage disposal.
Set the hairdryer on the lowest setting. Dry the area, keeping the hair dryer nine inches over the wet spots. Dry the area for three minutes and then repeat the process until you have dried all the spots. You may also dry the area with a fan.
Clean the Floor
There are many ways to clean the porous surfaces on the damaged area:
- Dab some ammonia on a cloth and rub the area.
- Make a paste from mayonnaise and cigarette ashes. Dip a cloth in the mixture and rub it on the area.
- Mix baking soda and toothpaste. Spread it on the area with the cloth.
- Clean the area with mineral oil and a steel-wool pad.
Let the cleaner stand on the spot for about 20 minutes. Rub a cloth in a circular motion on the area to wipe off the cleaner.
To clean and disinfect non-porous surfaces, use a sponge and half a cup of bleach mixed in a gallon of water. This will help clean moderate mold. Serious mold problems should be handled by a professional mold-removal service.
Restore the water and reinstall the doors. If the water damage is serious, or if you don't trust your skill, contact a damage-repair service such as Absolute Restoration LLC.Share